Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Cookie Monster

I did some baking for a few cookie care packages last Saturday, and thought I'd share the loot ;) It took awhile to figure out what to make, but I finally decided on a few new varieties and challenged myself to come up with one of my own.

clockwise, from bottom R: Chevre cookies, Blueberry Lavender Butter Cookies, Seven Layers, Chocolate Candy Cane Cookies and Persimmon Cookies

To accompany the Seven Layers that everyone loves, I tried a few cookies from fellow bloggers. I think my favorite one was Nicole's Persimmon Cookies, but Elise's Chocolate Candy Cane Cookies did not disappoint. I used my usual substitutions-- white whole wheat flour for AP and Smart Balance 50/50 sticks for the butter/shortening. In the Chocolate cookies, I used Candy Cane Kisses instead of Peppermint Bark, since I already had them. There was one other variety in there that I didn't really like as a Christmas cookie, but I sent it out anyways (sorry guys!). I think they would find a better home on a cheese tray....

For my own recipe, I took a cue from some muffins Kelly turned me on to this summer. Into a butter cookie base, I added some lavender buds (a free sample from Marx Foods), dried blueberries and a little lemon zest. Different, but I really liked them :) On a side note, I wasn't sure if these were a butter cookie or shortbread. Anyone know the difference??

Blueberry Lavender Butter Cookies

Blueberry Lavender Butter Cookies
Recipe by Shannon



1 1/4c white whole wheat flour
1/8t salt
1 stick of butter, room temp (I used Smart Balance 50/50 sticks)
1/2c plus 2T powdered sugar
1 lg egg
1t lavender buds
1c dried blueberries, chopped
zest of 1/2-1 lemon

Beat butter until light and creamy in a stand mixer (or by hand). Add in powdered sugar over a few additions. Once incorporated, beat in egg. With the mixer running on low, add flour and continue to mix until well combined. Fold in lavender (crush with your fingers while adding to the batter), blueberries and lemon zest. Transfer to a large piece of saran wrap and shape into a log. Refrigerate a few hours or overnight.

Preheat oven to 350deg. Line cookie sheet (1 large one or two smaller ones) with parchment paper. Remove dough from fridge and make 1/4" slices (unwaxed floss could be used, but I just used my chef's knife). Place on baking sheet and bake 12-13min, until just starting to brown on the edges. Remove and cool on a rack.

*My note: I did not chop my blueberries, so when I tried to cut them the blueberries got in the way and they fell apart. I just shaped the cookies by hand and that worked well!*



I'm sending these to Susan for her Christmas Cookie Roundup! Click here to find out how to submit your own recipe (hurry, time's running out!), and click here for the roundup and more ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment