Saturday, December 5, 2009

'Tis the Season

With the holiday season in full swing, I thought I'd share some gift ideas from birthday presents I received this year. I think they'd be great for anyone who loves food!

For whatever reason, I find prep work (chopping veggies, measuring ingredients, deseeding a POM...) therapeutic :) Tasks in the kitchen are endless, so I greatly appreciated a cushioned anti-fatigue mat! I first saw these at Bed, Bath & Beyond for a pretty penny, but my mom picked one up at Home Depot for a good price. It wipes clean easily, too, so I don't have to worry about spilling beet juice all over the floor. Not that I've done that recently...



I am actually VERY excited for colder temps, so I get in the mood for some warm, hearty dishes like chili made with heirloom beans! From Rancho Gordo, a friend of mine gave me several varieties of dried heirloom beans and their cookbook (full of how-to's and wonderful recipes). I can't wait to give them a try :)



It might be a little late for farmers markets in some areas, but I think it's safe to say anyone would appreciate a local, hand-crafted product. My aunt had picked up a few varieties of Pappardelle's Pasta (in flavor like Southwest, Lemon Chive, Spinach Garlic, Spicy Thai, and Sweet Potato to name a few) that has been fun to play with!

Lemon Chive Pasta w/Zucchini, Goat Cheese & Sun-dried Tomatoes


Another option for hand-crafted gifts is Foodzie (a place for artisan food), where you can find items like the pumpkin and cranberry marshmallows, pumpkin pie caramallows, or passion fruit chocolates I got to sample at the Foodbuzz Festival. Oh, I can't forget Annie's drool-worthy cookies!!

Pumpkin Pie Caramallows from BonBonBar


Don't forget about your own two hands! I don't think anyone in their right mind would turn down some mini raw mounds bars (aka Katie's Chocolate Macaroon Babies)... unless they don't like coconut ;) Easy peasy, and better than my old favorite!

Mini Chocolate Macaroon Bars


Last but not least, a "cookbook" of sorts, The Flavor Bible. I first heard about it from Shauna, and it immediately went on my wish list. While it doesn't have any recipes, it lists ingredients in alphabetical order, and follows with flavors that work well as well as some good cooking techniques. I have fallen in love, and it has allowed me to get a bit more creative and come up with more of my own recipes (like the Roasted Pears w/Rosemary & Honey)!



If you're still looking for something, check out some of these ideas!

Averie is also offering up some Amazing Grass and Kay's snacks that would also make great gifts ;)

What's on your wish list??

No comments:

Post a Comment