Thursday, July 2, 2009

The Cake of All Cakes

A dear old friend of mine (no, she's not old, I've just known her since kindergarten!) recently had a birthday. When I found out she was going to make her own cake, I had to put an end to that! It took a day to convince her, but she finally relented. Now she didn't just want any ol' cake, she had her eyes set on a cake from Sky High: Irresistable Triple-Layer Cakes. I guess it's my fault. I was the one who pointed her in the direction of Deb's site- Smitten Kitchen, where she had posted the recipe for a Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake.


I was a little nervous, and had to borrow a cake pan (I only have 2!), but I did a test run for some substitutions and couldn't have been happier with the results (as was my lab :)). Instead of sour cream I used fat free greek yogurt. I also used a majority of WW pastry flour, as I ran out of white flour. Since oil separation is bad for frosting, I went with a jar of Skippy Natural. The last thing I wasn't sure would work, but it totally held up-- Smart Balance 50/50 sticks and Nufatchel (instead of full-fat cream cheese) in the frosting. Score! I also added extra pb to the ganache (prob 2T), since the bday girl and I couldn't taste the pb :)

The sour cream/greek yogurt cake was incredibly moist and delicious. I baked these 2 days ahead and froze until the morning of assembly. The peanut butter cream cheese frosting? No words, my friends, no words. Just make it. I also did this 2 days ahead, kept in the fridge. Top it off with a dark chocolate- pb ganache (made on site, at time of assembly)-- heaven.

Not to toot my own horn, but it came out incredible. I should really go toot Alisa, Peter and Tina's horns, cause this one was outta da pahk (odd to type with a boston accent)! Rave reviews all around as far as I know :)

Happy Birthday Rebecca!!

No comments:

Post a Comment