Thursday, July 16, 2009

Summer Salads

Work sure does cut down on blogging time! ~sigh~ After four looonng days, I'm SO looking forward to the weekend :) Thought it might be appropriate to share some quick salads I've made starring summer fruit (can't get enough!).

The first made the unusual pairing of plums and roasted beets. At least it sounded unusual to me :) Also starring goat cheese, this was one salad that definitely did not disappoint! You can find the recipe for this Beet & Goat Cheese salad here. I used the packaged roasted beets for convenience, but you could certainly roast them yourself. My proportions may have been different as well, as I didn't measure.

Roasted Beet & Plum Salad

The second salad comes from a recipe I had seen over at Cooking Light. Looking at it now, however, I realize I did quite a few things differently :)

Grilled Peaches & Proscuitto Salad
adapted from Cooking Light
scale up/down to desired amount



peaches, cut into 6 sections
s/p
salad greens (I used a mix of baby spinach and spring mix)
proscuitto
balsamic vinegar (could reduce down and combine with honey if desired)
goat cheese

Spray peaches lightly with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill ~1min on each side (I did this in a grill pan on pretty high heat) to see grill marks.

Lay proscuitto on small baking sheet and cook in toaster oven (or larger) until crispy. I think I did this at 350, but you could certainly do it higher, just keep an eye on it.

To assemble the salad, place peaches on a bed of greens, sprinkle on goat cheese (oops, I forgot). Crumble prosciutto over salad, then drizzle with balsamic vinegar (or syrup) and serve.

Grilled Peach & Proscuitto Salad

Relatively simple and delicious, these salads served as a reminder to play with my flavor combinations! Have you tried any interesting pairings lately??

No comments:

Post a Comment