Monday, July 13, 2009

Melon Mondays

I had some friends over for dinner last night, where the not-so-secret ingredient was melon! Over the next 5 Monday's, I'll share one of the recipes from the night--so you're not as overwhelmed as my guests may have been :)

We'll start with the appetizer--Melon Prosciutto Bruschetta. While I'm not a huge fan of proscuitto-wrapped melon, this was an attempt to recreate an amazing app I had at a wedding that I recently attended. I think it actually came pretty close, although I was the only one who had something to compare it to! I think it was a hit, hopefully they'll chime in ;)




Melon Proscuitto Bruschetta
Recipe by Shannon



1c finely diced honeydew
1c finely diced cantaloupe
1 finely dieced serrano, jalapeno, or the like
juice of 1 lime
1-2T chopped mint
1-2T chopped basil
squirt of siracha (more or less to taste)
desired baguette (I used a peasant bread from Trader Joe's)
EVOO
fresh chopped parsley (or some of the fresh frozen variety)
prosciutto

The night or morning before serving, prepare the melon bruschetta. Combine the first 7 ingredients and let the flavors combine for a few hours. Adjust seasoning to taste, I was hoping to give it a little kick.

Before serving, remove the bruschetta from the fridge and allow it to come to room temperature. Slice baguette into thin rounds (mine was more like a loaf, so I cut the larger center pieces in half). Lay rounds in a single layer on cookie sheet. Drizzle with EVOO and sprinkle lightly with parsley. Toast either under the broiler or at a high temp (400 or higher) in your oven until nicely browned.

Slice prosciutto into approximate size of toasts (for my pieces, I got 4 rounds from each slice of prosciutto). Place prosciutto on warm toasts after they come out of the oven. Top with a spoonful of bruschetta (drained of any juice) and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment