Thursday, November 5, 2009

Jealousy


No question, I suffer from jealousy. Whether it is because of fear - of loss or abandonment - or something more egoic like humiliation, it's not good.

~ In jealousy there is more self-love than love. François, Duc de La Rochefoucauld, Maxims, 1665

At least in my understanding. One clear factor I discovered yesterday was that there is another view, which is that jealousy in a relationship can cure the glue; it can actually make the relationship.

~ Never waste jealousy on a real man: it is the imaginary man that supplants us all in the long run. George Bernard Shaw

I am a fan of detachment in life, or cool engagement as a friend characterizes it. Working on consciously distinguishing between emotion and what's really going on helps give me perspective. And yet jealousy withstands all assaults. Mine is un-tame-able.

~ Jealousy is no more than feeling alone against smiling enemies. Elizabeth Bowen

What is it about jealousy that incites people to "...rip out the other chick's eyes..."? Why do normally calm people react with protective and offensive violence?

~ I've spent most of my life walking under that hovering cloud, jealousy, whose acid raindrops blurred my vision and burned holes in my heart. Astrid Alauda

Should I work towards defusing all my hot-headed irrational reactions, or does jealousy serve me in some unseen way? It's a mystery to me.

~ Jealousy is the dragon in paradise; the hell of heaven; and the most bitter of the emotions because associated with the sweetest. A.R. Orage

No comments:

Post a Comment