Saturday, September 12, 2009

Musselman's Healthy Picks

*chirp chirp*

Sorry about the absence over here... while i'm trying to get my mojo back, there's something I've been meaning to get to-- a review for the new line of Musselman's applesauce. I'd seen it on a few blogs, but was excited for the chance to try it myself (Thanks Krista!!).


The Healthy Picks line of applesauce is designed to be a healthy, portable snack for us busy folks. It comes in three flavors: Blueberry Pomegranate, Raspberry Açaí and Key Lime Cupuaçu. One of the biggest reasons I wanted to try these was that there is no added sugar--apples are sweet (or they should be when you make applesauce!), no need to add anything extra. I also am attracted to flavored applesauce, as the plain varieties don't hold my attention unless they're homemade. The nutritionals aren't bad at 70 cal/cup and 3g fiber, and an ingredient list that is pretty respectable.


My impression? I think these are a great snack option! I found that one of these and a handful of almonds (i have the dark cocoa roast ones at work now) were able to keep the hunger at bay for a couple of hours. Packaged applesauce will never have the consistency of the homemade stuff I love (which I thought I had posted but couldn't find?). But these are great options to have around whenever and wherever you might need a pick-me-up. I liked each of the flavors, my favorite probably the Blueberry Pomegranate. I didn't think the Key Lime tasted like lime... what it was, I couldn't put my finger--er, tongue-- on. Still good, and none of them were too sweet.

I often use applesauce to replace some of the fat in baked goods, but it's never a large volume. These smaller containers would be great here as well, so long as it was a fruity loaf. Musselman's also suggests popping the applesauce in the freezer for 30min for a slushy treat. I bet this would be great in the summer heat! Want to try it yourself? Click here for a coupon and tell them I sent you!

No comments:

Post a Comment