Sunday, September 5, 2010

Peaches!

Before apples are taking over my kitchen, I wanted to share this peachy creation with you.  I have The Flavor Bible to thank for inspiring this creation, as my jar of saffron has sat unopened for awhile out of fear ;)  I don't know quite how to describe it...  mellow?  subtle?   I do know that it was delicious, and enjoyed by all!



Saffron Peach Ice Cream
Recipe by Shannon, basic method from The Vegan Scoop

2 cans light coconut milk
2T arrowroot
1/2c evaporated cane juice (I bet brown sugar would also be phenomenal)
scant 1/2t saffron (a pinch)
1T vanilla
3-4 peaches, divided

Measure out 1/4c coconut milk and whisk in 2T arrowroot until smooth, set aside.  Combine the rest of the coconut milk, sugar and saffron in a medium pot and bring to a boil over medium heat. 

While heating, puree 1 large peach in a blender or food processor to yield ~1c puree.

Just as the coconut milk mixture comes to a boil, remove from heat and whisk in arrowroot mixture, vanilla, and peach puree.  Let cool, then refrigerate a few hours until mixture is well chilled.

Dice another peach and set aside.  Churn in an ice cream maker, according to manufacturing directions, adding the diced peach while churning.

Dice the remaining 1-2 peaches and serve with the ice cream!

(You could dice all 3 peaches at once, but they'll start to discolor a bit when stored in the fridge so I wrote the instructions to achieve the brightest colors and peak freshness.)



Thanks to everyone who entered my giveaway and commented on my last two posts!!  Thanks to random.org, the winner of the $90 CSN giveaway is brandi!  Brandi, congrats :)  Shoot me an email, and you'll be ordering some of the Pfalzgraff Cappuccino collection before you know it! 

Hope everyone enjoys the rest of their weekend!  Anyone doing anything fun??

No comments:

Post a Comment