Thursday, September 9, 2010

Corn Pesto

As soon as I read the words "corn pesto" in August's issue of Bon Appetit,  I knew I'd be making it.   I love all things corn, and this was no exception.   Now, if only I still had some ears sitting in the fridge...


Pasta w/Corn Pesto
adapted slightly from Bon Appetit
Serves 2

I eyeballed all of these amounts, so don't feel bound to your measuring spoons!  

1 1/2-3T extra virgin olive oil, divided
2c fresh corn kernals
1 garlic clove, minced
3/4t coarse salt
3/8t fresh ground black pepper
2T pine nuts
1/4c finely grated Parmesan
fettucine (I used some Spinach-Garlic Fettuccine I had on hand)
1 small (or 1/2 of a large) tomato, diced
fresh torn basil leaves, optional

Bring a large pot of water to a boil as you prepare the pesto.

In a medium nonstick skillet, heat 1/2-1T oil on medium heat.  Add corn, garlic, salt and pepper and saute until corn is just tender, only a few minutes.

Reserve 1/2c corn and add the rest to a food processor (or blender).  Add pine nuts and parmesan, and process until smooth, drizzling in 1-2T oil through the feed tube until it comes together.  Add to reserved corn and set aside.

Cook pasta until al dente.  Reserve a bit of the cooking liquid, then drain the pasta and return to the pot.  Add corn pesto and ~1/4c of the cooking liquid, then toss to coat.  Serve, topped with some freshly torn basil leaves and tomatoes.


What's the best thing you've made (or eaten) this summer with corn??   I'm still thinking about the corn flan I had at Tilth...  I need to try and recreate it!!

ps- if you're interested in trying the new Larabar flavors, check out Katie's awesome giveaway!!

No comments:

Post a Comment