Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Light and Fresh

**Sorry for the re-post, but I fixed the link for the Shrimp, Jicama & Mango Salad!!*

Today was absolutely gorgeous outside. So much so, that it was impossible to work ;-) Maybe it was just the blue skies after a few days of rain, but I couldn't stop staring out the window! I went in for the morning to do what was absolutely necessary, then took off. Hey, it's the last day our boss is out of town, so i took advantage and went on a nice, long 5+mi walk! (shh, don't tell!)

When I got back and saw these photos on my desktop waiting to be posted about, I knew the timing was perfect. First one featured some mangoes and jicama that were on sale...

Shrimp, Jicama, & Mango Salad

You can find the recipe here. I love the crunch of jicama and the sweetness of the mango in this dish!! I had some Maple-Glazed Butternut Squash & Parsnips alongside, to use up things that were in my fridge. It was a little camera-shy though :) Besides for cutting back a bit on the butter and using dried rosemary instead of fresh, I followed the recipe. This also had a nice textural contrast with chopped marcona almonds amidst the creamy roasted roots! This would make a nice side on your winter table!

The parsnips became another fabulous side dish, this time inspired by Esi-- Parsnip, Carrot & Scallion Fritters. I had more parsnips than carrots in my mix, used WW panko bread crumbs, and egg whites instead of the eggs. I cooked mine up in my favorite nonstick pan (which apparently is no longer available?), no extra oil needed! Served on a bed of baby spinach with a large dallop of hummus. These were awesome!! I don't know why, but these really exceeded my expectations and I can't wait to make them again :)

Parsnip, Carrot & Scallion Cakes

I almost forgot--giveaways!! Sarah has got it goin' on with Bob's Red Mill, and Rose-Anne also has a giveaway going on. Click on over and you might even get to learn how to use your kitchen to fall in love ;-) You can also participate in a scavenger hunt to find something chocolate-covered and win some great loot!

No comments:

Post a Comment