Wednesday, July 4, 2012

It's a Girl - My Lord! - In a Flatbed Ford


Now I don't want to draw too much from this, but do the lyrics of this Eagles song make you a little nostalgic?

The dude's running away - possibly doing the fadeout - on seven women;

Well, I'm running down the road
Tryin' to loosen my load
I've got seven women on my mind
Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine


With one aim in mind,  he's;

Lookin' for a lover
Who won't blow my cover
She's so hard to find...


Which is where we meet the girl in Winslow driving the flatbed Ford. The way she can save him is to seize the moment for some uncommitted random fucking.

Come on, baby
Don't say maybe
I gotta know if your sweet love
Is gonna save me


We may lose and we may win
Though we will never be here again
So open up, I'm climbin' in
And take it easy


Subtle use of the "climbin' in" metaphor.

It's reflective of a misguided instinct: the way to leave one (or seven) women is to take up with someone fresh - close all the doors of the past by opening a new one. Yeah, that never works.

The vanity here is telling, although I'm sneakily smiling at the complete absence of any sexual political posturing. This tune represents the apogee of the Californian/hippy/baby-boom/free love/whatever feels good/just do it age perfectly, as well as (arguably) the apogee of money-making from having a good time.

Lucky bastards.



Bottoms Up, and do whatever feels good.



Take It Easy lyrics © Jackson Browne/Swallow Turn Music/Night Kitchen Music/Open Window Music.

No comments:

Post a Comment