Sunday, December 19, 2010

Almond Sugar Cookies

After a co-worker and I started singing carols at work, I've gotten really excited about the impending holiday.  Just spending time at home with the family is all i need :)

Well, family and cookies.  Can't forget the christmas cookies!

I've got a few recipes to share this week, and I'm starting off with a classic-- the sugar cookie.   While they're not usually the first one I pick out of the bunch, but I have fallen for the almond variety.   In an effort to make some dairy-free cookies for a friend, and the fact that I was all out of butter and Earth Balance, I came up with these...


Almond Sugar Cookies
adapted from suite101
Yield:  ~4dozen (with my 1 7/8" cutter)

I took the simple route of sprinkles as these cookies were going to be shipped, but feel free to top with an almond or cream cheese icing if you prefer!

1c granulated sugar
1/3c melted coconut oil (I bet another mild flavored oil would also be ok)
1t vanilla extract
1t almond extract
1egg
2c flour (I used a mix of AP and white whole wheat)
1/2c almond meal
1/2t baking soda
1/2t salt
1/4c water (could also milk)

In a large bowl or stand mixer, beat together sugar, oil, extracts and egg until light in color and fluffy.   While that is beating away, whisk together dry ingredients (flour, almond meal, baking soda, salt).   When sugar mixture is fluffy, stir in flour and water by hand (I used a spatula).  Turn dough out onto a piece of plastic wrap and refrigerate a few hours or overnight.

Preheat oven to 375deg when you want to make your cookies.  Remove dough from refrigerator and roll out between two pieces of parchment paper.  I aimed for 1/8-1/4" thick, but you can decide whichever thickness you'd prefer, just adjust the cooking times accordingly (longer for thicker cookies, shorter for really thin ones)!  Using your favorite cookie cutter (or biscuit cutter when you realize you don't have any cookie cutters), cut into desired shapes.  Re-roll any dough left from the cut-outs and repeat until you've used all of your dough.

Add some sprinkles if desired and transfer to parchment-lined cookie sheets or a baking stone and bake 10min, so they're just browned around the edges and not too soft in the middle.  Cool a few minutes on the cookie sheet and then transfer to cooling racks until cooled completely.



Are you a sugar cookie fan??  Straight-up or flavored??

No comments:

Post a Comment