Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Apple & Pumpkin Pie

When thinking about what kind of apple pie I wanted to make this year, I was stumped.  Last year's version was going to be hard to top!   After stewing for awhile I thought about combining apple and pumpkin (apparently not so novel...  I know I saw Sarah's version last year, so that probably planted the seed!!).  But while I love my mom's pumpkin chiffon, I'm not drawn to traditional pumpkin pie as much...  then I thought pumpkin cheesecake...  why not?


Kind of a match made in heaven :)  This post really deserves more pictures, but it was late at night when I was making this (and doing 3 different things at the same time).   I can tell you that everyone in lab really enjoyed it and a few even asked for the recipe!



Apple Pumpkin Cheesecake Pie
pumpkin layer adapted from Apple Pie, Patis & Pate
Yield:  1 9"pie

I baked mine in a regular 9" pie plate, but had a little extra filling leftover, so I'd recommend a deep dish version if you have it :)   I made a crustless version with the leftover apples and pumpkin cheesecake, so nothing went to waste!

I should also note that I cut back on the sugar so this was not overly sweet and I succeeded.  I don't think anyone missed the extra sugar, but feel free to adjust to your own tastes!

Your favorite single pie crust (I had some issues this time, so I'm leaving it up to you!)

Apple Layer
4 apples (I used 3 granny smith and 1 macoun)
1T flour
1t cinnamon
1/2t cardamom
2T sucanat (or brown sugar or turbinado...  or a mix!)

Pumpkin Cheesecake Layer
1 1/3c Nufatchel (just shy of 11oz)
1t vanilla extract
1 1/2t cinnamon
1/4t nutmeg
1/4t cardamom
1c brown sugar, not packed  (or sucanat)
1T maple syrup
2/3c pumpkin
3 lg eggs

Preheat the oven to 350deg.

Prepare your single crust pie crust recipe and pre-bake according to recipe instructions.  Let cool while you prep your fillings.

Peel and slice apples into ~1/2" thick slices, place in a large bowl.  Toss with remaining apple filling ingredients, adding a small squeeze of fresh lemon juice if you have it on hand.   Pour filling into cooled, prebaked crust and bake in preheated oven for 20minutes.  Don't overfill the crust, as you'll be adding another layer on top.  I aimed for a layer that was 2-3 slices thick, ~3/4 up the wall of the pie shell.

Prepare the pumpkin cheesecake while the apple pie is baking, start by creaming together the cream cheese, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom.  Add in brown sugar and beat until mixture is light and fluffy.  Add maple syrup and pumpkin and mix.  Add eggs, 1 at a time, until incorporated.  After 20minutes, pour pumpkin mixture over apple pie and bake for another 30minutes or so (check at 25min in case your oven runs a little hot).  It's ok if the center looks slightly jiggly (apparently I missed the window as mine mine looked set at 30min).  Remove and cool on a wire rack to RT.  Refrigerate for a few hours (or overnight) before serving.

Serve with a freshly whipped, lightly sweetened whipped cream, if desired!



Do you have a go-to apple or pumpkin pie recipe??  If you had to choose, which do you prefer?

No comments:

Post a Comment