Monday, November 15, 2010

A Quiet Drink



Drinking should be a social pastime. Lowering inhibitions as it does makes alcohol a swell social chemical, freeing us from the shyness that can keep us from chatting up hotties.

Social drinking is age-old for good reason. Anyone who has ever upended an adult bevvie understands this.

However, I can make a case to go out for a drink to be alone; to be amongst but not necessarily with people. My thinking goes like this:

1. I feel like a drink.

2. I don't feel like talking.

3. I can't be buggered calling/texting to see who else is around.

4. I only have twenty bucks to spare and don't want to buy anyone else a drink.

At my usual buzz peak of 1.2 martinis, a creative turbocharger kicks in, meaning that ideas begin to flow. That's when I reach for a pen and cocktail napkins, and start to draw and make notes that are brilliantly insightful at the time, and completely unintelligible the next morning.

Right about now, the idea of drinking alone in a bar seems preposterous, especially when the cutie sitting next to me at the bar laughs at my doodlings.

Quiet drinks are sometimes the best.




Bottoms Up, Doodlers!

No comments:

Post a Comment