Monday, October 5, 2009

Women in bars.


Somehow the liquor industry convinced us that bars are the primo places to find a mate. It makes sense I guess, given the ready access to mind-altering substances and resulting convivial atmosphere. Reducing inhibition is probably the best justification for drinking - in moderation please people. Sure, sure, we like the taste, but if the alcohol wasn't present, I doubt booze would be as popular. There's a reason non-alcoholic wine and beer sales are like a flea on the butt of Mr Ethanol Elephant.

Concerned mothers the world over tell their daughters they'll never find a good man at the bar. They're referring to the legal bar I imagine, since any sensible mother would break down in floods of tears knowing her Princess was dating the likes of a John Edwards. Contrastingly, drinking-type bars are the habitue of sexy and upright paragons of the community. Like me.

But not me lately. After years of unsatisfactory searching for the future Mrs Wombat in drinking establishments all over, the obvious has arrived and whacked me over the head. We don't need bars to find women; women are everywhere. I'm fully aware of how dopey this sounds. Really, truly stupid. There's no defence I can provide (where's a lawyer when I need one?) other than to say that some behaviours from one's early years can stick beyond their usefulness.

For a young man in Australia the progression is: out with mates -> drinking -> horny -> nothing to lose -> fear of failure overcome -> approach women -> hope for successful outcome.

Experience eliminates the need for the first two parts, meaning the whole world is my oyster. Why did it take so long?

Being Single Part 1, Being Single Part 2, Being Single Part 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment