Thursday, August 6, 2009

Kissing Cousins



A friend has a world-class nose. Yes, it's cute from the outside, but she must have a freakishly large number of receptors up there, because she smells the world better than a bloodhound. Not only that, but she can apply word labels to the smells, which means she can verbally communicate smell to dopes like me. It's a rare talent.

I tell you, she should be working designing perfumes or judging wine. I'm in rhino-love.

Presumably this is good: she says I smell like popcorn. My immediate mental image (smellage?) is of movie theatre lobbies, which stink of grotty carpet and that stuff they call popcorn. I hope I remind her of home-popped corn. In either case, it's way better than being told I remind her of sauerkraut or space junk. (Not that I know how space junk smells. I just don't want to have the dreaded 'space junk' rep.)

This being Kiss Week @ K&B, I have been investigating just why we kiss.

Scientific American has a detailed and fascinating article. Astound friends with facts like 80% of us tilt our heads to the right.

Here's another short piece that talks about the importance of smell in kissing. During a pash session, women (unconsciously) sniff the man out for immune system compatibility.

Apparently my immune system is made from corn. Does that mean I'm compatible with women from Iowa? I wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment