Monday, August 17, 2009

It's not me, it's you.



Much to my cost, I have been a relationship equivocator. I have, in the past, been the one to say maybe when I really meant NO. Even when women have handed me an out - do you think this is working? - the words in my head, the right words, the accurate words, didn't form. Instead, I have avoided the disagreement, and attempted to smooth over the problem.

I do not know where this avoidance behaviour comes from. There must be something deep-seated in those of us who work this way, because I know it's almost always injurious. For us, and the other party.

There is no logic in trying not to offend the other person. If they are upset at something we know or feel, it's their problem. Not communicating our heart and mind only delays the inevitable. And in the meantime, the truth will always - ALWAYS - squeeze its way out of us in some form or another.

In the universal sense, the truth is always better than a cowering lie. Trying to massage the message to make someone else feel something is equivalent to pushing the proverbial piece of string. It never works.

She doesn't like you Part 1, She doesn't like you Part 3, She doesn't like you Part 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment