Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A Zucchini Summer

While I'm always eager to pick up zucchini this time of year,  when I spied some zucchini blossoms at an orchard a couple weekends ago I couldn't put them in my cart fast enough!   While I had seen them before, this was my first time giving them a try.


I stuffed them (w/goat cheese, roasted garlic and basil)

I put them on a pizza (w/ zucchini and a goat cheese/pesto "sauce")

I tried them in a pasta sauce.  And I felt like I never really tasted them.   Not sure what they're supposed to taste like, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get them again.   Ah well, at least I can say I tried!

Instead I'll continue to jump into the zucchini bounty to make more pizza...

...make more Savory Zucchini Bread
 
...and combine them with amazing corn to make fritters!

Zucchini Corn Fritters
adapted from Serious Eats
Serves 2-3

2c shredded zucchini
1/2t salt
1 lg egg
1 lg egg white
kernels from 1 ear of corn
1/2c thinly sliced spring onions
2T Daregal Fresh Frozen Original herb blend (cilantro, parsley, or whatever you have on hand)
1/4c +2T white whole wheat flour
freshly ground black pepper

Place shredded zucchini in colander in the sink over a bowl and sprinkle with salt.  Toss to combine and let drain 10-15min.

Mix egg and egg white with a fork in a medium bowl.  Add corn kernels, onion, herbs, flour and pepper.  Squeeze as much liquid from zucchini as you can (with your hands) and add to the bowl.  Mix well.

Heat a nonstick pan over medium heat.  You might need to add a little oil to the pan.   Depending on the size of your pan, add 2-4 heaping spoonfuls of fritter mix to the pan and cook 2-4min on each side, until nicely browned.   Repeat until you have used all of your batter.

I enjoyed these with some chipotle cream (1/2-1T chipotle/adobo sauce mixed with ~1/2c greek yogurt)!

Have you ever tried squash blossoms??  Yay or nay??    How about your favorite zucchini recipe this summer?

Don't forget to enter my giveaway!!

No comments:

Post a Comment