Thursday, March 11, 2010

Friday Fluffer - Love Letters


One of the most popular Googled posts hereabouts is this one: Love Letters [link]

If you have a romantic bone in your body or your trousers, I recommend you give it a shot. Not for what I had to say, but for the letters quoted.

So it was with some amazement that I found myself the recipient of a copy of the DVD pictured. Who knows how these PR people work. They send me a slightly personalized email asking about my interest, and POOF! there's a package in my box.

Let's get this straight: I am a huge, retrograde, old fashioned fan of hand-written letters. If they involve love, all the better. What we have here is a stellar dramatic production of a performance of historic love letters between Clara Schumann[link] and her husband, some hack pianist.

I am incapable of reviewing this thing dispassionately, so I plan to send it to the person most likely to give us clarity: Mr Martian. [link] Send me a real life postal address, and review this wondrous thing for us, my friend.

For those who like shortcuts, the DVD is a performance of Schumann's work punctuated by love letters between husband and wife. The parts are played by Sting and his wife, Trudie. It is heartachingly beautiful, despite the pedigree of the performers.

But I want Martian's opinion.




Photo by me.

This is a quick run-down of the DVD performance. [link]

No comments:

Post a Comment