Monday, February 9, 2009

Snowballs

Has everyone heard about Meghann's Bake Sale?? She's raising money for her Team in Training efforts, culminating in a marathon on May 31. So many good things up for bidding, but I thought I'd also let you guys know that I'm offering up some Snowballs. A traditional christmas cookie in our household, these things are delicious! I've been meaning to try them with Smart Balance 50/50 sticks and maybe some WW pastry flour, so maybe now will be my opportunity... I heard from my aunt about the baking temperature that evaded my mom's recipe card, so here it is, as promised!



Snowballs
Grandma's recipe
Yield: a LOT of cookies (I got almost 3 dozen from half recipe)



2 sticks butter (Smart Balance 50/50 sticks work well)
1 1/2c sifted powdered sugar
1 egg (for half recipe, 1 egg white)
1t vanilla
2 1/2c sifted flour (I have sub'd up to 1c WWW flour or WW pastry flour)
1t baking soda
1t cream of tartar
1/4t salt
1 1/2c chopped walnuts
powdered sugar for coating

Cream butter. Gradually add sugar and cream until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla, beat well.

Sift together dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, salt). Gradually add to creamed mixture.

Stir in walnuts, then chill dough.

Preheat oven to 400deg. Roll dough into balls (large marble size) and bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 8-10 min. Roll immediately in powdered sugar then set on newspaper to cool. Roll again in powdered sugar and then try to not eat them all!

No comments:

Post a Comment