Friday, December 19, 2008

Let it Snow!!

It's beginning to look a LOT like christmas :):) I'm loving the snow outside right now!!! I got to walk home in it ~3 and by the time i got to my apartment, I looked like a snowman :) how fun!

Before I forget, two very important things. Another easy way to give, go comment on MizFit's site here. She'll be donating to a domestic violence shelter. Second, a shoutout to Erin, who sent me some of that infamous trail mix (it's as dangerous as it seems...) and some Super Charge Me Cookies!! How she knew I've been meaning to try those, I don't know, maybe she's psychic! Both of the delicious goodies refused to be photographed, they didn't want to make everyone jealous :)

Oooh, you came here for the food? Right. Well I feel like I haven't been feeling the creative bug in awhile, but when I came across these I had to pick them up!


Then it was what to do with them... I was immediately thinking cookies (witches hats), but didn't really think the peanut butter was the right pairing. I thought almond would be the best flavor base to go with these, and while I toyed with the idea of using almond butter, here's how they ended up...


Chocolate Raspberry Almond Shortbread
adapted from my aunt's Almond Glazed Sugar Cookies

1c butter, softened (I used Smart Balance 50/50 sticks)
3/4c sugar
1t almond extract
2c AP flour
1/2t baking powder
1/4t salt
Dark Choc Raspberry Kisses, unwrapped

Preheat oven to 400deg. In a small bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt together. Combine the first three ingredients (butter, sugar, extract) into the bowl of a mixer and beat at medium speed until creamy. Reduce speed and add flour mixture. Beat until well mixed.

I used a cookie scoop (probably ~1t) to scoop out cookies onto a cookie sheet, 1" apart or so. Bake 7-9min, until edges are lightly browned. Cool 1minute while you top the cookies with kisses, then remove from cookie sheet.

Look at how ooey-gooey they got!!!

A note on the Smart Balance Sticks... they seem to have different melting properties than butter. In recipes like this, where you cream the butter and sugar, it seems to work just fine. Be careful, however, when melting it for other recipes, it happens quickly and splatters!

No comments:

Post a Comment