Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Strawberry Lemonade Cocktails

Shula attempting her own version of cornhole
I don't know that the .75mi swimming, 66mi biking and 4.5mi of running I did compensated for all of the eating and drinking that happened this weekend.  But it was absolutely delicious, so I'm not complaining :)

Crazy Feta, Cilantro Lime White Bean Hummus and Strawberry Mango Salsa

We're talking things like chocolate chip cookie-stuffed cinnamon rollshomemade veggie burgers, no-bake smores bars with homemade marshmallows, chickpea salad sandwiches, crazy feta, cilantro lime white bean hummus, strawberry mango salsa, a zucchini ricotta galette, an arugula potato green bean salad, cherry pie and blueberry balsamic meatballs w/goat cheese to name a few.  And did I mention I didn't do a whole lot of cooking?  Rebecca did the heavy lifting this weekend with a little help here and there from the rest of us!

Rebecca and Mike with their cherry pie!

I was spoiled, no doubt about that!!  Hopefully my beverages provided some refreshment for those doing the hard work ;)  First up was Jessica's watermelon float, with a scoop of homemade vanilla bean coconut milk ice cream in a sea of watermelon mint soda.  Incredibly refreshing, and a great way to cool off after an afternoon of kayaking!!

Watermelon float

And then there was, dare I say it, the star of the two drinks I prepared...  a Strawberry Lemonade Cocktail.  It all started when I saw Dave's post about Strawberry Vodka.  Immediately I thought of the Absolut Wild Tea in my pantry and knew it'd be amazing.  I was right.  Perfect on its own, in ginger ale, or homemade strawberry meyer lemon juice.



Oh yes, I made some strawberry meyer lemonade to go along with the infused vodka.  I must have had some foresight when freezing down extra juice during my meyer lemon craze this year, because it created an amazing lemonade and probably one of the best drinks I've ever had.  No joke.  Dangerous, too, if you know what I mean ;) 

Srawberry Lemonade Cocktail

Strawberry Meyer Lemonade
Recipe by Shannon

A great summer drink in its own right, this is a great addition to strawberry infused vodka!  Regular lemon juice could be used as well, just taste as you might want to add more sugar.

1/3c evaporated cane juice (or granulated sugar)
1c water
1c meyer lemon juice (fresh or frozen, thawed)
1lb strawberries, washed and hulled
16oz seltzer

Prepare the simple syrup by combining water and sugar in a small saucepan and cooking over medium heat until the sugar dissolves.  Remove from heat and let cool.  This can be done ahead, simply refrigerate until using.

Blend strawberries and then pour through a fine mesh sieve (I used a hand held strainer) to remove the solids/seeds.  Mix with simple syrup, lemon juice and seltzer, then serve!

Edited to add:  This is also delicious when made with a basil simple syrup.  Simply add a bunch of basil leaves after bringing the simple syrup to a boil.  Let steep for 15-30min and then strain out basil!


How was everyone's 4th of July?  Any delicious eats you'd care to share??

No comments:

Post a Comment