Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Cubism and Surrealism in Dating

Hi. My name is Wombat, and I'm powerless. I'm addicted to women.

Group replies, together, out of synch, mumbled:

Hi Wombat.


I believe that we choose nearly all our behaviours, with some obvious exceptions. The mating imperative is one area in which we're strongly coded for irrationality, stories of which we could all relate. Over time our genetics over-ride any kind of logic or abstract higher-brain function, but not without a fight, and not in every case.

An example in my own life is that of two extremes created entirely in my imagination. If I encounter a woman I think is attractive, my head goes one of two ways: I'll either think she's so far out of my league that I won't bother approaching her OR I'll immediately imagine us together as a couple and how that would look and feel.

Both reactions are illogical, both reactions are destructive.

The mental tussle arises because of those competing priorities we all keep upstairs. There's that deep-seated reproductive urge fighting with all the cultural curlicues created higher up in the brain, the latter of which are so often ephemeral, tied up with ego and snippets of half-learned mind-junk.

Back to basics for me. All I can control is my own thinking, which needs to be stripped of expectation and artifice.



Hello, my name's Wombat. What's yours?




Bottoms Up, Clear-Headed Thinkers.

No comments:

Post a Comment