Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Eating in Italy

Pastries, pizza, pasta...  Italians sure love their carbs!   With such great fresh pasta I'm not complaining though!



Luckily they also love their gelato :)  I had lots of it, most of the time sticking to my favorite flavors (pistachio, yogurt and coconut).  I was never disappointed!



I also did my best to try the local specialties as I traveled...

Sfogliatelle in Napoli



Pesto and focaccia in Cinque Terre


Ribollita in Firenze

fresh fish along the coast

 Ricciarelli, panforte margherita and a pine nut torte in Siena

the obligatory (and delicious) tomatoes

... and undocumented wild boar, salami, prosciutto, buffalo mozzarella and pecorino tuscano.  I never thought much about pecorino until I tried the tuscan variety- if you're a cheese lover definitely give this a try!!  I don't think I've ever tried buffalo mozzarella as good as I had in Napoli, either, but now I'll be on a mission to find out if I can :)

I'll end this post with the most amazing wedding cake I have ever had.  Hands down.  Millefoglie (thousand layer cake) with chantily cream and flecks of bitter chocolate.  I went back for seconds and even contemplated scrounging off of others plates for a bit more, but decided I'd have to figure out how it was made instead!  Stay tuned ;)


With that, I'm off to dream about the cake and try to get back on Boston time!

What's the most surprising thing you've tried on vacation??

No comments:

Post a Comment