Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Sauteed Greens

Things have been crazy over here, but I just got back from my last wedding of the summer so hopefully I'll be able to find some time to read all of my favorite blogs again!  Please bear with me as I try to catch up :)

Caramelized onions...  yum.

Wanting to bring you more than another massaged kale salad, I did something a bit different with the last of the dark leafy greens from my CSA!  Inspired by the salad Elina bought to the Seder dinner hosted by Cara, I sauteed my greens and topped them with a host of goodies to create this awesome dish.



Sauteed Greens w/Caramelized Onions, Prunes & Goat Cheese
Serves 2-3

Alternatively, you could use this salad idea for your favorite green, say, spinach or massaged kale?

1-2T extra virgin olive oil
1 lg red onion, halved and very thinly sliced
8c chopped/roughly torn dark leafy greens (I used a mix of kale and beet greens)
1-2 small roasted beets, chopped (optional)
1/3c chopped prunes
1/4c chopped toasted walnuts
2oz goat cheese, crumbled

In a heavy skillet, heat oil over medium heat.  Add onion, stir to coat the onions and cook a few minutes.  Reduce to low and continue to cook until nice and caramelized.  Add in greens and 1-2T water, stir and let cook until greens have softened.  Stir in beets and prunes, then transfer to a plate and top with goat cheese and toasted walnuts.





Now that it's officially summer, what are you most looking forward to??

No comments:

Post a Comment