Thursday, July 15, 2010

Savory Zucchini Bread

My first tri of the season is this Sunday.  At this point I am usually excited, a little nervous, anxious....  but not today.   I haven't mentioned it, but my right foot's been bothering me since I got back from Italy.  I cut back on the frequency of my runs, but when it started to hurt when walking, I called and made an appointment with the doctor.

I left with orders to not run for a few weeks.  Likely tendinitis,  I've already got an x-ray and appointment with a podiatrist lined up to rule out a stress fracture and (hopefully) figure things out in a couple of weeks.   It's been rough, I'm not going to lie.

But this bread made me smile.  And made my stomach very happy.  I used it to thank people for some of the little things they have done for me lately.  And they loved it as well.  If you're looking for a twist on traditional zucchini bread, I'd highly recommend it.

Like all of nature's bounty, zucchini has its seasons.  And I'd like to be competing in triathlons for many more zucchini seasons.  So I will continue to observe my hiatus from running...  it's been almost two weeks.  At least I can still bike and swim.  And eat zucchini bread ;)



Savory Zucchini Bread
adapted from Food Blogga
Yield:  1 9x5 loaf, or 3 smaller loaves

1 1/2c white whole wheat flour
1/2t salt
1/4t fresh ground pepper
1/2t baking soda
1/2t baking powder
1 lg egg
1 lg egg white
3/4c evaporated cane juice (sugar)
1/2c canola oil (I use Smart Balance blend)
1c shredded zucchini (mine was heaping)
1/4c sliced spring onions
1/2c crumbled feta (or whatever cheese you have on hand)
1/4c Daregal Fresh Frozen Original Herb Blend  (or whatever you have on hand)
pepitas (pumpkin seeds), for garnish

Preheat oven to 350deg.  Coat pan(s) with nonstick cooking spray.  Place shredded zucchini on paper towel to remove a excess moisture.

Beat egg, egg white and sugar in mixer.  Add oil and continue mixing until well combined.  Add in dry ingredients and mix by hand.  Fold in zucchini, onions, feta and herbs.  Pour batter into prepared pans and top with a sprinkling of pepitas.

Bake larger loaf for 50-60min, or until tester comes out clean.  Smaller loaves will take 30-40min.  Cool 5-10min in pan, then remove to a cooling rack and cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment