Sunday, April 5, 2009

Oikos Greek Yogurt

I have to be honest, the very first time I tried Greek Yogurt, I didn't like it. It was the nutritionals that got me coming back for more, and now I really enjoy it! It's got a tang to it, which I wasn't used to. But I started by adding a little drizzle of honey (or agave), mixing in some fruit or granola, and have really come to love it, even on its own. Heck, crumble in a warm brownie or cookie and I'll bet you'll eat it :) And what a great protein-boost to that dessert!


As I mentioned in my last post, Kristina from Stoneyfield Farm was nice enough to offer up some coupons to try Oikos. Who am I kidding, I've definitely had it before, but I'm not one to turn down free greek yogurt :) It is the only organic greek yogurt on the market! For those unfamiliar with greek yogurt, it is thicker than regular yogurt as it has been strained to remove the whey. Which I'll be honest, confuses me, as I thought the protein was in the whey... yet greek yogurt has easily 3x the amount of protein than other yogurts. Can anyone clear this up for me? I did learn something from their website--strained yogurt stays fresher longer, and is less likely to curdle when cooked! Ok, on to the yogurt...


With my free coupons, I picked up one of each flavor: plain, honey (not pictured), vanilla, and blueberry. While the plain had the tart/tang normally associated with greek yogurt, the flavored variations did not. Those would be another good starting point if you're just trying them out for the first time. They were all thick, creamy, and delicious! The flavored ones weren't too sweet (the honey had a nice subtle flavor-- I didn't even realize there was actual honey on the bottom until i got there!) and all had under 20g sugar. I like the flavored ones when i'm on the go, or attempt to have it for dessert if my dinner isn't particularly heavy on protein. Otherwise I normally stick to plain and add whatever fruit I have around.

Besides wanting a few more actual blueberries in the blueberry yogurt, the only drawback is price. I usually stick to what's on sale, or Trader Joe's 2% (couldn't believe the difference from 0%!!), so Oikos is a splurge or coupon purchase for me. I really can't pick a favorite between Fage, Chiobani, Oikos, TJ's... I've come to love them all! Icelandic yogurt (Skyr.is or siggi's) might win out if it weren't for the cost, but right now I'm a post-doc in Boston. (aka not swimming in it!)

Thanks again Kristina, I love your greek yogurt!! Ok everyone, what are you waiting for?? Once you go greek, you'll never go back ;-) Who's with me??

No comments:

Post a Comment