Thursday, April 16, 2009

Jicama & Butternut Salad

**Sorry for the repost, but I added a bit about jicama since so many of you asked! See the bottom of the post**

Well, I have been so busy I've been doing very little cooking :( All these ideas floating in my head for brie and herbs, and no time to implement them! Mom even had everything all set for Easter, all I got to do was throw together a mousse parfait for dessert :) I'm not complaining, and it was Easter bunny-approved!


This was really simple--I took the cupboard shortcut of some boxed mix (strawberry and lemon mousse) and fruit in the fridge (mom stocked up, she knows me so well!!) to create a nice dessert for our dinner. I crumbled up a gingersnap on top for a little crunch.

Right, so you're wondering about the title of the post?!? I did have a chance to throw something together that was fun and exciting... A combination of textures and flavors that really seemed to come together. I combined some maple, chipotle-roasted butternut squash with crisp jicama, then topped it with some roasted pecans and dried fruit. Yum!


Jicama & Butternut Salad
Recipe by Shannon



1 small jicama, cut into matchsticks
bulbous end of a butternut squash
maple syrup
cayenne pepper
salt
1-2T chopped toasted pecans
~2T dried cranberries (I had a mix with dried cranberries, cherries, pomegranate seeds, raspberries and boysenberries--from Trader Joe's)

Preheat oven to 450degrees.

Cut butternut squash into half rounds and toss with enough maple syrup to coat (I didn't measure but it was prob ~2T for a big squash). Season with salt and cayenne pepper (use your judgement for amounts on this one!). Roast at 450degrees until nice and roasted, flipping after ~15min or so.

Combine jicama and roasted butternut on a plate, then top with toasted pecans and dried cranberries. Dig in!


Sorry for the lack of accurate measurements, but I was just flying by the seat of my pants! I am SO happy that tomorrow is Friday, anyone with me??


What is jicama you asked? It goes by Mexican potato or turnip, but I can assure you it tastes nothing like a turnip! Jicama is the edible root of a poisonous vine called yam bean (which the root can also be referred to). Nutritionally speaking, it's a great source of fiber, Vitamin C, and water (it's 85-90% water). Jicama is mildly sweet (from inulin) but doesn't have an overpowering flavor. Crisp and crunchy, it is great to much on its own or to use in salads... I have yet to try it cooked though!

Other jicama recipes I've featured
Jicama Fall Slaw
Shrimp, Jicama & Mango Salad
Grilled Corn, JIcama & Mango Salad

No comments:

Post a Comment