Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Spaghetti Squash Pie

I'm no stranger to squash, and often find myself roasting one (or two!) a week all throughout the winter.  For this month's challenge, though, I wanted to break from my routine and come up with something a little more non-traditional.  Are you ready for it?



Yup, I put spaghetti squash in a dessert!  It's definitely not the first squash you'd pick to go over to the sweet side, but I remembered seeing one on the Today Show last two years ago so I knew it could be done.





I'd say this is like a custard pie, with the spaghetti squash providing just a little bit of texture (I might even try added 3c next time!).  I ran with the coconut theme, making it dairy-free and even more delicious.  An unusual but tasty treat ;)




Spaghetti Squash Pie
adapted from food for a hungry soul

I used coconut sugar here, which is more subtle on the sweetness scale than regular sugar.  This makes it perfect for a snack or dessert.  If you prefer your dessert a little sweeter, I'd suggest using 3/4c evaporated cane juice (or granulated sugar).

1 can light coconut milk
6T white whole wheat flour  (oat flour would work well here to keep it grain-free)
1/2c coconut sugar *see head note
2t baking powder
1/4t salt
4 eggs
1t vanilla extract
1/2t coconut extract (optional)
2c cooked spaghetti squash
roasted coconut, for garnish (optional)

Preheat oven to 350deg.

Add all ingredients except for squash and roasted coconut to a blender and blend until well combined and smooth, 1-3min.  Pour into a bowl and stir in squash, making sure that it's evenly distributed.  Pour into a 9 or 10" pie plate.  Bake for 50-60min, or until the top is browned and a knife comes out clean (insert it in the middle of the pie).  It may still be jiggly in the middle (my usual test), and that's ok.  Cool on a wire rack.

Garnish with roasted coconut if desired, or serve with whipped coconut cream.




Thanks again to Natasha & Laz for hosting!  How do you like your spaghetti squash??

No comments:

Post a Comment