Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Horchata Cupcakes

When Elina, Kerstin and I started planning dinner a few weeks month ago, we settled on a Spanish theme and I wound up responsible for dessert.  I thought about going the traditional route, but decided to use the prominent components (almond, caramel, rice, cinnamon) in a different way.


Horchata, as it turns out, is originally from Valencia.  While the traditional version uses tigernuts, I used my creative license and used brown rice.  Remembering the cupcakes from the first Foodbuzz Festival, I based my creation off of those!



Horchata Cupcakes
slightly adapted from Mission Mini's
Yield:  10-11

1 1/4c white whole wheat flour
1/2c evaporated cane juice (or granulated sugar)
1/2t baking soda
1/2t salt
1 1/2t cinnamon
2/3c neutral-flavored oil
1/2c fresh horchata
1 lg egg, RT
1/2t white vinegar
1t vanilla extract.

Preheat oven to 325deg.

Sift together dry ingredients (flour through cinnamon) into a medium bowl.

In a large bowl, whisk together the remaining (wet) ingredients.  Add the dry ingredients and mix until smooth and thoroughly combined.  Divide batter evenly among lined cupcake tins so they are 2/3 full (I did this with a cookie scoop).

Bake in oven for 15-20min, turning the pan halfway through.  Test with a toothpick to check for doneness, it should come clean with a few crumbs attached.  Remove from the oven and let cool completely.


Once my cupcakes had cooled, I filled them with cajeta (bought in Mexico) and topped them with almond cream cheese frosting (from Sky High, which you can find here).  A sprinkle of cinnamon would've been a nice touch, but I forgot!





What's your favorite Spanish dessert?

No comments:

Post a Comment