Monday, May 24, 2010

Rancho Gordo Baked Beans

I think it was around Christmas when I mentioned that I had gotten some dried heirloom beans and a cookbook from Rancho Gordo.   I usually go for the convenience of canned, but one weekend I decided to go ahead and get some Yellow Eye beans soaking.   I totally dropped the ball on photographing these beans, as they were quite lovely.   


(Image Source)

While they were soaking, I decided to try a recipe for baked beans, as I thought they might be a good addition to a bbq.  After soaking, they get cooked for awhile on the stovetop.  While it took awhile for the beans to soften, it was a "get it simmering and leave it while you do other things" kind of time.  Then it was time to meet some onions and sauce overnight in the crockpot.


I followed the recipe straight from the cookbook so I urge you to check it out (I couldn't find it online).   If the way these beans tasted is any indication, I'd totally pick up the cookbook :)   If you're in the market for a baked beans recipe...  shoot me an email.


When I woke up the next morning and went out to the kitchen I seriously contemplating eating them for breakfast.  Instead I packed them up for lunch with an oven-roasted sweet potato (really, it's the only way!) and some cottage cheese (not in the picture).  Absolutely amazing.


I raved about the meal to my friend who gave me the beans, and had her over for dinner the following week.  Of course I had to make more of those baked beans :)  I couldn't get them out of my head!   This time I served the beans over a bed of roasted kale and oven-roasted sweet potatoes.   They were a hit, and I'm thinking I might need to order more yellow-eye beans...

Do you liked baked beans??       Have you ever (or regularly) cooked your beans from scratch??

No comments:

Post a Comment