Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A Better Slaw

As a kid, I did not like cabbage. I actually liked stuffed cabbage... but I ate the filling and left the "roll" behind. Coleslaw? haha, don't think so! I feel so grown up, with my changing tastes :-P I actually eat cabbage now, especially love it in this recipe for Stuffed Cabbage Stoup. Yup, it's a Rachel Ray recipe, so beware--I made half of it and got 3-4 HUGE servings out of it. But boy, I can't wait to make it again! Very easy, as I remember, just "chop and drop". Note to self: stop watching 30MM.

Anywho, since I like this leafy green now, I thought I should try it in some coleslaw. I hate to waste ingredients, so when I saw part of a head left in mom's fridge, I thought it was the perfect opportunity!! And seeing as I am a recipe fiend, had to try two different kinds. Both incorporated these lovely beauties from the farmers market...


The first was North Carolina Slaw, which I had written as being from Bon Appetit, but on searching for it tonight it doesn't appear that is the case as it wasn't online. Verdict? Wow, yum! I completely eye-balled the dressing (and probably could've used less oil), but I saved some to top a burger later in the week :) If you look real hard, you can see the yellow carrot I used, contrasting with the pale green cabbage! (why didn't I use the reddish/purple ones???)

North Carolina Slaw
inspired from somewhere...

~1-2c sliced cabbage
1 med carrot, grated

for the dressing, whisk together
sm chunk of onion, grated (~1-2T)
~1T canola oil
~1/2T ketchup
maybe less than 1t apple cider vinegar
pinch sugar
dash celery seeds

(sorry I really made no measurements!!) toss it all together, and enjoy!

I loved Waldorf Salad as a kid, so the other logical recipe for me to try was for Waldorf Coleslaw. YUM. Apples *swoon*. Perfect fall lunch!! Made this ahead of time, keeping some chopped walnuts on the side so they didn't get soggy.

All the players

Waldorf Coleslaw
inspired by Baking Bites


2c sliced cabbage
1 apple, diced
1 med carrot, diced
~1T dried cherries, slightly chopped
2T nonfat plain yogurt
1T olive oil mayo
1/2T honey
1t white balsamic vinegar (i love this stuff!)
dash s/p
~1T chopped walnuts

Whisk together yogurt, mayo, honey, and vinegar. Season to taste with s/p. Combine rest of ingredients (except walnuts) in bowl. Add dressing and toss to combine, then refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving. Top with walnuts. right before serving.

Let's get this party started!!

No comments:

Post a Comment